At Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, we strive to keep your natural teeth healthy and strong. However, a circumstance, such as an injury or severe tooth decay, may require a tooth extraction in order to maintain your overall oral health. We use a gentle touch and work hard to make sure you are comfortable and relaxed throughout the extraction process.
What Is a Tooth Extraction?
A routine tooth extraction starts off with a set of X-rays so we can look at the location, size, and condition of the tooth that’s being extracted. Before proceeding, we will assess if you need any anesthesia or sedation options to make your procedure as stress-free as possible. We’ll carefully remove your tooth and thoroughly disinfect the area.
When Is a Tooth Extraction Necessary?
A tooth extraction is performed once all of our more conservative options have been considered and ruled out. You may need an extraction if:
- Your tooth is severely infected and a root canal isn’t a viable option.
- Your tooth is severely damaged from a trauma.
- Your wisdom teeth are impacted or crowding your existing teeth.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After your extraction, we will send you home with a list of aftercare guidelines and instructions to ensure you have a smooth, speedy recovery. We’ve listed some tips that will help you avoid possible complications and relieve any pain or discomfort you may feel after your procedure.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers or anti-inflammatories as recommended.
- Place an ice pack on the outside of your cheek that’s closest to the area of the extracted tooth.
- Leave the gauze in place for the recommended amount of time.
- Avoid using straws and spitting for at least six hours after your extraction.
- Rinse your mouth with salt and warm water as directed.
- Eat soft foods that aren’t extremely hot or cold.
- Do not smoke.
If you have a tooth that must be extracted, don’t worry about the space left behind. We offer a variety of tooth replacement options to help fill in the gaps of your smile. Contact our office to schedule your consultation.
Preserve Your Oral Health!
Contact us to learn more about tooth extractions!